Dessert time! Surprised your guest with this easy recipe.
Coconut milk (3 cups) – Cane sugar (⅔ cup + ¼ cup) – Vanilla extract (½ tsp.) – Cornstarch (1 ½ Tbsp.) – Chopped strawberries (4 cups) – Diced rhubarb (¾ cup) – freshly grated ginger (½ Tbsp.) – Chopped pistachios (½ cup) – Salt.
For the coconut ice-cream:
1. Warm 2 cups of the coconut milk, ⅔ cups of sugar and a pinch of salt until the sugar is dissolved.
2. In another bowl, mix together the remaining cup of coconut milk, the cornstarch and the vanilla extract. Then, add the warm coconut milk mixture and nix together. Let the mixture cool in the fridge.
3. Put the cooled mixture in an ice-cream maker. When it is done, put the ice-cream in the freezer.
For the strawberry-rhubarb sauce:
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, the rhubarb , a pinch of salt and the remaining sugar. Cook it on medium heat during 20 min. Simmer the mixture and cook it for an additional 10 minutes.
2. Turn off the heat and add the ginger. Let it cool at room temperature.
Serve the ice-cream on a bed of strawberry-rhubarb sauce. Then add the pistachios on the top.
Source: S. Forte, “The Sprouted Kitchen”, 10 Speed Press, 2015, p. 169