A perfect side dish salad for the coming Barbecue. Try this one. Goat cheese is optional. I would not recommend it if you are grilling meat with a marinade.It could also be served with fish.
Quinoa ( 2 cups) – Vegetable broth (4 cups) – Small fennel bulb (3-4) – Spring onions (3-4) – Pomegranate seeds (½ cup) – Green lentils (1 cup) – chopped cilantro (⅓ cup) – Olive oil (3-4 Tbsp) – White wine vinegar (3-4 Tbsp) – toasted pistachios, coarsely chopped (½ cup) – Alfalfa sprouts (1 cup) – Crumbled goat cheese, optional (½ cup) – Salt & pepper
1. Rinse the quinoa. Then, put it in a pot with the vegetable broth. Bring it up to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes. Let is cool completely.
2. Rinse the green lentils. Cook them in boiling water for 15-20 minutes. Do not overcook them. Put them under cold water once cooked to stop the cooking process. Let it cool completely.
3. Cut the fennel in very thinly pieces, using a mandoline if you have one. Finely chop the green onion, both white and green parts.
4. Once the quinoa and green lentils have cool down, put them in a large bowl. Then, add the fennel, spring onions, pomegranate seeds, cilantro, olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt & pepper. Toss everything to coat.
5. Before serving, add the pistachios, goat cheese (optional) and the alfalfa sprouts.
Source: S. Forte, “The Sprouted Kitchen; Bowl + Spoon”, Then Speed Press, Berkeley, 2015